October 24, 2010

tundra



Pattern: my own
Yarn: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino in 'Riders on the Storm' colourway

So I finally got around to knitting up all that yarn I spun last winter. I did this top down with set in sleeves to try to use as much of my yarn as I could, although I only needed about 1200 yds. of the 1418 total I spun. This was from 32 oz spun into a worsted weight 3 ply.

This sweater should have taken me a little more than a week to make. It took over 2 because I ripped out and re-knit the lower 1/2 of the body no less than 3 times and one of the sleeves completely twice. I felt like that guy in the Greek myth who rolls the boulder up the hill every day only to have to start again at the bottom the next. I want to be in love with this sweater and I'm not yet, but it's getting closer.

Anyway, the yarn from this fibre is gorgeous. The colours working together reminded me of an arctic tundra landscape.


Now I'm off to Minneapolis for 5 days to a Parks conference, and I'm trying to decide on the car knitting. Hope you're having a great weekend.

10 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! I love the color play and the moss (?) borders ! Yay for hand spun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I love the collar and the colorway is so beautiful! Definitely worth all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, this is beautiful! I love all the colors hidden in the vareigation. The design totally does the handspun justice - enjoy the car ride :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. swoon. absolutely STUNNING. and perfect for fall. (and parks conference? do tell!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Stunning" was the word that came to my mind first, too. It's so... simple and yet classy and elegant! WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh GAWD.

    Note to self: buy spinning wheel and learn to spin

    STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn is awesome! And the sweater looks great on you. Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful knit. It looks so cozy! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!
    I like when colorful yarns are not knitted to very complicated patterns, because the yarn itself is an art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic! you inspire me to keep working on my spinning

    ReplyDelete